THE BLAZERS HAVE BAD P.R. SKILLS

Posted by nerdpulse | 12:11 PM | 0 comments »

So, the Grizz re-signed Darius Miles. It was only a matter of time I suppose.

As a Blazer fan this disappoints me, but what can you do. Larry Miller and his now famous email threatening to sue any team who signs Darius with bad intentions toward the Blazers' cap have to be disappointed as well.

I understand the reasoning for the email, I just don't understand the lack of forethought. I know they wanted to make it clear that they didn't want someone wrecking their salary cap out of spite, but I'm not a lawyer and I could tell you it's going to be nearly impossible to prove that someone signed a player out of malice towards your salary cap.

All it takes is for the defense to say: "We like what Darius Miles brings to our team as a player." Discussion over. There is no way a judge, the NBA, or the NBPA is going to allow Portland to sue one of their partners for hiring a qualified employee.

It was a poorly executed bluff which gave the new darlings of the NBA a black eye. Lately Blazers management has done everything right, so I forgive them this once.

Next time, think before sending out that email. I know it's a lot of money, but it didn't stop anybody.

On a side note: Darius Miles is a douchebag. The whole time he was "rehabbing" here in Portland, he spent the majority of his time smoking, drinking, and going to strip clubs. Were I a team owner I wouldn't touch his cancerous behind with a ten foot pole.

0 comments

Post a Comment